Worthwhile Ventures supports early-stage, NSW-based Aboriginal businesses to achieve their objectives by the provision of free business advice and mentoring, tailored financial support and customised education. We aim to create a sustainable Business Community whose members contribute to and benefit from successful Aboriginal enterprise.
Free Business Advice
Access to Funding
Worthwhile Ventures is an Aboriginal-controlled organisation that partners with Aboriginal communities and individuals in their drive for economic development and sustainability.
We support early-stage Aboriginal Enterprise by the provision of:
- Access to a Complimentary Business Advisory Service
- Access to Funding and assistance with Fund Raising
- Education on Business Topics
Worthwhile Ventures will provide access to:
- Aboriginal leaders
- Specialists in relevant disciplines such as Law, Accounting, HR, Marketing & IT
Colin Gordon: CEO
OUR BUSINESS MODEL
Worthwhile Ventures has adopted an approach to assisting Aboriginal Entrepreneurs that is compatible with the Aboriginal approach to life.
Over the years, Worthwhile Ventures has evolved a method of working which is compatible with the Aboriginal approach to life. Consequently, we proudly enjoy the full trust of our participating entrepreneurs.
- You set the pace.
- You are in control of what support you receive and from whom.
- The approach taken will vary from business to business and be tailored to your needs.
- Typically, we will assemble a small team of mentors, embodying the skills needed by your business.
- Assistance may take the form of a quick phone call through to a defined programme of work and will last as long as needed.
- We only advise, never direct.
- We never judge. If you fall over, we will be there to pick you up.
- While a commercially viable business proposition is critical, WV also places great value on social impact when deciding if we can assist an enterprise.
- Reciprocity is key and business owners are expected to give back to the Worthwhile Ventures Business Community in some form.
- If we don’t think we can help you, we will do our best to find someone who can.
HOW CAN WORTHWHILE VENTURES HELP YOUR BUSINESS?
There are many reasons that you may benefit from engaging with Worthwhile Ventures, such as:
- You may have identified an opportunity for expansion of the business and support on organisational change, or
- You do not have access to adequate funds to expand your business, or
- You may feel that you could benefit from an analysis of some (or all) of your enterprise’s operations or procedures, with a view to improvement, or
- You may have identified that you, or one of your staff, would benefit from training in business-related skills to further the objectives of the enterprise.
There are several criteria that your enterprise will be assessed against before Worthwhile Ventures can help. They include:
- Aboriginal majority managed and operated.
- NSW-based (for the time being)
- Be for-profit OR a social enterprise
- Assessed suitable within WV's mentoring and funding capacity
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT WORTHWHILE VENTURES?
Worthwhile Ventures relies on the generosity of its donors and volunteer advisors/supporters to develop and grow as an effective organisation that can have impact.
BECOME AN ADVISOR/MENTOR
As a Worthwhile Ventures advisor/mentor you will join the Worthwhile Ventures Business Community (WVBC) to grow and support participating Aboriginal enterprises.
Support is provided on a pro bono basis to the enterprises and the position of advisor/mentor is a voluntary one. An advisor/mentor will be matched with an enterprise to provide input in a range of areas relating to the management and operation of the company. Members of the WVBC are expected to gain a deep understanding of the enterprise's background and situation and draw on their experience to provide guidance.
This could then lead to development of a business strategy, budgets and operational plans; implementation of the plans would then be reviewed by the coach and business owner on a regular basis. Depending on need, help in business areas (e.g. accounting, marketing, HR) could be provided by specialists. Advisors/mentors will therefore need to have significant experience and skills. They are also expected to be open and able to share their personal journeys in engagement with Indigenous culture and practice; Worthwhile Ventures will support new WVBC members through an on-boarding program to ensure their cultural readiness and that respectful and successful relationships are forged.
Worthwhile Ventures is a proud Aboriginal majority owned and operated non-profit organisation. Our sustainability is dependent on genuine relationships based on the cultural value of 'giving back' to country. This means, we are seeking meaningful donor relationships that serve a trusted commitment in achieving measurable social and economical outcomes for Aboriginal communities.
We invite individuals or corporations who wish to be a part off this unique approach to contact us and we will share more about our model. Donations are tax deductible.